Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Were staying put, in Zapata, for another week, then we off to Alpine, Texas for the Cowboy Poetry Gathering, three days of listening to real cowboys talk about real ranching and the experience of riding the range in the past and the present!

I wrote a little rhyme for the occasion:



Saturday Morning Movies



All across North America,

We wanted to be Cowboys!



Cap-guns and Twin holsters,

they were our most desired toys!



I wanna be Roy, I wanna be Gene,

I wanna be Hop-a-long,



No one wanted to be the bad guys,

They lost, they were always wrong

We would crush condensed milk cans,onto our shoes,
then slap our hips to giddy-up!

Sometimes we would ride backwards,
with both guns a-blazing,
Only supper hour could interrupt!

Then you got your first rifle,
a Red Ryder BB gun,

Pinging cans and breaking bottles,
what could be more fun?

Then along came girls, your cowpoke
days, they came to an end!

We all wanted to ride the range, like in the movies,
I'm sure you will agree ,my friend!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Paul, was that your poem? You're a poet & don't know it, not bad....